Saturday, January 4, 2014

art

 
I am blessed with "artsy" sisters, children, spouse, bonus son, grandchildren, cousins and friends.
 
I am blessed with many "artsy" friends.
 
Today Sherri Timmons came to spend the day getting scrappy with us at the shop and she brought me something extraordinary.  Something that stopped me in my tracks.  She brought me my pallet.  She brought me Peerless Transparent Watercolors
 
Peerless Transparent Watercolors were developed in 1885 by Charles F. Nicholson. After many years of "revolutionary" chemical research, he developed the self blending line of Peerless Transparent Watercolors in sheet form. His unwavering ideal was to create an original form of presentation for watercolors.
After many years of perserverance, he successfully developed Color Film, or paper leaflet paint as many used to call them. Watercolors had never been offered in dry form and the novelty of the idea seemed to shock the artistic sense of the professional colorist. Even after 122 years, the self blending Peerless Transparent Watercolors still shock the amateur as well as the professional colorist!
(from the Peerless website)
I was so excited I created a very portable watercolor pallet that I can take with me right in my dictionary. in fact I made it out of the back inside cover of my dictionary.  I trimmed a small piece of the watercolors off the paper and glued the strips to the paper creating a pallet.  Now only have to carry my dictionary, my Scarlet Lime black pen, a water pen (thanks Tim Holtz) and a pencil to create on the go!  Thanks Sherri for making my day!
Now for the surprise...when Dennis and I were first married I used to do his retouching.
He had a very fine (a single hair) brush and these little cards that I would wet and the blacks, whites and sepias would load onto the brush....after looking at the website I realized I had used the photographic set of peerless transparent watercolor in my retouching so many years before!  What comes around goes around and if you have an artsy friend like Sherri who shares freely her time, talent, and treasures it comes around in a most wonderful way!
 
Because I was given this amazing gift my word for the day changed...it became art.
I came right home from work and sat down at my desk to play!
Two things I realized right away...I really need to practice with my watercolors and I am going to have a blast with these!
 
I doodled the frames  and each frame I listed some of the art forms I have tried in my life.  Some of these things are not what would considered traditional art forms but I think they qualify so I included them. 
I feel as if every part of life can be art and although I am not proficient in most of those things I have tried....and tried....and tried.
 
CHALLENGE:
try something new!
PROMISE:
everything you try opens you up to new experiences and adventures...one thing leads to another.
 
Thank you each for taking the time to follow along with this challenge.  Everyday one of you posts a comment or your challenge art or something encouraging that helps me to keep going.
Today I want to introduce you to  Janna Mauldin Heiner. 
Jenna is a self taught artist....like me...and she chose the word mercies as her first entry.  I love the word and have added it to my list as a reminder of how very blessed I am.
 
Enjoy Janna's beautiful art work and typography...I did.
 
 
always,
michele
 

3 comments:

  1. I love those watercolors! I haven't seen them since college. I just saw a water pen when I was buying tools for this project--the two together are perfect. Thanks for featuring my work--I need to work on my photography, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your photography is fine and your art work is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was intrigued by your pallet when I saw it in one of your photos... now Im really fascinated! I think I may need to stop by the shop and see how you use them! VERY FUN! ..and YES! Janna is VERY TALENTED ON MANY LEVELS!! I love her!! She is a dear friend! You will come to LOVE her very quickly, I am sure! We need to get her down here for a fun day at the shop!

    ReplyDelete