Thursday, January 2, 2014

home...

It is only my 2nd day on this challenge and I can already see that I am kicking my own backside!  I told you about the dream I had regarding my one little word...now comes the time when I begin making lists.
word lists.
the next of my words is
home.
I chose this word for a couple of reasons
1. I like to doodle and this is a word I can doodle the heck out of.
2. I want you to doodle and I know you can do something wonderful with the word home
3. home is not by definition what I thought it should be so I am enlarging upon the dictionary.
 
I think as I go through this challenge I may find on more than one occasion a word will by definition not come up to the feelings and expectations I have for it.
 
I started this word like I expect to start every word...I looked it up in the dictionary.
home: a family's place of residence:  DOMICILE
house
the social unit formed by a family living together
a congenial environment
 
there was more but not what home means to me...I mean to say home is all those things but so much more to me.
 
I took a marker and highlighted the word in blue.
I then doodled what home is in my world...
in my world home is a sanctuary.
it is safe.
it is warm (except during a heat wave then it should be cool)
it is peaceful (again some stipulations apply)
it is filled with memories and laughter and joy
it is a place where a scent can send you reeling to a time and place long gone
home is heaven on earth
it is sacred
it is holy
it is a privilege
it is what we make it.
 
None of that is in the definition...but this is my word and I have the obligation to tell anyone what I believe home to be so I doodled it.
 

then I colored it
and when I had done those things I linked it to what I hoped would clarify my definition...
note: can you see that not every entry has to be so fancy...some entries are more simple and to the point. 
 
as I told you I didn't like the definition in my dictionary so I decided to add my own. 
first
I read the words on the opposite page to make sure I didn't mind covering them up.
next
I added white paint to the page
next
I smoothed it out with a brush
then I wrote my definition...what I think of when I hear the word home
 
I was just about to close the book on this entry when something rather remarkable happened.  I spied with my little eye a word
holy spirit
I had already doodled on it so I took this little gift and rewrote the definition above the page...
"the active presence of God in human life"
So you see there are hidden messages and reminders all over your dictionary if you will just see them.
 
today's challenge:
doodle a word...any word
today's promise
your definition of any word is the right definition if it speaks to your heart
 
if it feel right to you link your word to another word...this is how words explode before you.  One leads to another and another and.....
 
always,
Michele
 

No comments:

Post a Comment