Wednesday, January 1, 2014

fancy letters and big bold words

I did not anticipate making a second post on this the first day of January 2014...I didn't anticipate anyone would even look at this blog on this the first day of January 2014.
 
 
There is some concern that some of you can't (gee I don't like that word...I will add it to our list) letter the way I do.  I have an answer to that...neither could I before I tried.
 
this is so much more than the lettering.  This is about a journey through words. Why some words so profoundly speak to us. Why some words comfort and others do not. It is about the art of words and words as art. Don't worry and don't hold back because of what you don't have. Join me with what you have and grow
 

no one can tell you to change your handwriting because it isn't right for any project...NO ONE! your handwriting your lettering is unique to you and that is what makes it perfect for your dictionary.
 
what I can tell you and teach you to some degree is how to get pleasing results with your handwriting.
 
 
grab a pencil and a piece of paper and make a letter...I chose v but you can choose any letter...let's make it a capital.
now let's curve it and add a little loop on the bottom.
remember you are still using a pencil...so forgiving.
 
and speaking of pencils...which end is more important?
 
now let's add a little weight to our letter.  still using that pencil go over your letter making it wider in some places and adding a more solid beginning and end to the letter. can you see my mistakes...they are ok...they are part of the letter just like I am the result of every mistake and success in my life.
 
 
now let's add a little flourish.  it is just a circle that never gets to know it's other end.  give it some weight.  still using that pencil? have you figured out which end is most important?
 
 
 
add more if you want to then go over your pencil with a black pen.
 
fill in the weight lines
shade, shadow, color?  all up to you.  now you have practiced...you can always practice more if you want to. 
 
create your first little word...in your dictionary
 
my friend pat asked me to do the word virtue....did you know virtue means moral excellence and celestial strength.  I didn't.  it means a lot of other things as well but those two stuck out to me. 
here are some tips:
don't worry it to death
...notice the smudge at the bottom of the tag I drew...oh well.  also my tag is not perfect...oh well.
I colored this page with distress inks and a blending tool.  we have these at Girlfriends but you can find them in your area if you are not from Twin.
 
shade and shadow
I used a platinum brush pen to shade and shadow the word.
 
outline
I outlined the letters here and there to give them a bolder look.
 
repeat yourself
to make your letters bolder the easiest thing to do is to go over them several times.
 
Search pinterest for lettering tutorials if you want to...there are lots there. you can also follow my 1 little word board there.
 
there are actually two pens I am using for this project.  we carry the uniball signo in black at the shop or if you are an online kinda girl go to scarlet lime and get this pen:
 
never limit yourself...read the other words on the page....look what I would have missed if I hadn't been paying attention!
 
if you can't have fun with this you are simply not trying hard enough!  you are the master of this project...you determine what you will do and how much you will do.  Enjoy the journey!
 
One more thing...I will add to this blog as often as possible but it won't be every day...even an old war horse like me needs a day of rest...so while I will do my very best to blog at least five days a week I won't blog on Sundays for sure and probably not on my days off.  I will also have to be offline while Lisa and I are at CHA...one can only do so much. what I hope is that when I am not here you will be to inspire me to go on.!
 
it is as always a challenge with a promise...
always,
michele
 
btw...did you figure out the pencil thing?  I will save it for next time, ok?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment