Thursday, January 9, 2014

tools

 
tool:
An instrument used or worked by hand
 
This week is becoming more busy by the moment...I have so much to do and yet I have things I really want to do that have nothing to do with my "to do" list.
 
So instead of checking off things to do on my list I am taking the next 20 minutes to talk about tools.
Each of us are going to use different tools, whatever is available and so on to create the kind of  "dictionary" we want to keep.
Sarah Williams isn't using a dictionary because she likes a more lumpy bumpy interactive result.
Pat Gomm's tool is her camera and with it she captures the words she is illustrating.
I like pens and color and all kinds of mixed media so I use anything I can get my hands on
Some of us are going to like pencils
Some will want all black and white
Some will add bits and pieces of fabric, book pages, music and more.
 
There is no right or wrong in this challenge.
There is no grade.
I have no expectations other than we will support each other and give freely of our talents
 
I have been asked the "bleed" question.  I have found one black pen that is not bleeding at all in my pages
here is the link to this pen...you're welcome
 
There are other black pens I use in various line weights. In no particular order they are:
PITT - all widths
millennium
zig liner
uniball signo in black and white
sharpie - all widths
papermate flair (an oldie that is still a fav)
 
I don't limit myself to any one pen because different pens are more suitable for different projects.
It is up to you to find the one you like best.
 
Other bleeding things:
Stains bleed
watercolors bleed
copics bleed
zig bleed
sharpies and bic bleed
pencils don't bleed unless you add water
 
 
I really don't mind any colors or images bleeding through to the other side of my page.  If you are not comfortable with this stick with colored pencils
 
 
My other tools include
copics

distress markers (watercolor)

stardust gel pens

my originals - zig scroll and brush & writers

colored pencils

Tim Holtz distress stains

old school bics and sharpies.
 
I use a glue pen when I am adding elements to my page
 
I use notebook paper, old book pages, and music pages to my dictionary.  I also use stamp pads and stamps.  I have also used chalkboard paint, chalk and white pens.  Keep looking for ways to expand your art and your pallet.
 
Challenge:
Try something you haven't tried before
Promise:
even if it is a disaster it will still have value because you will have learned!
 
always,
michele
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment